Friday, June 10, 2011

Is the Book Market Getting too Crowded?

There are millions of books being published on a monthly if not weekly basis. The advent of ebook publishing has only allowed for this number to increase dramatically. So what does this say about the book publishing industry?

I myself am a self published author. I did it because I had tried to traditional route and because at the time I didn't understand how to query properly, I was rejected. This was a process I began when I was eighteen years old. After some research, I learned that you could publish a book on your own and if you marketed it right, it could help land you a traditional book publishing deal. I wanted to be a writer. It was in my blood.

Fast forward some fifteen years later. I still am a writer. I love it. But now, I find myself not feeling as special about having this gift as I did back then. Why? Because now, many people are not writing and publishing books out of a love and a passion for the gift that is writing, instead, they are doing it all for the money.

I felt really sad the other day when I read the first few pages of a book written by a young man I had come into contact with. It was a prime example of someone who said "everybody is doing it, I will too."

What people fail to realize is that writing books is much like putting together a music cd. If you don't make good music, you will easily become a one hit wonder. Same with a book. If you only write one book, hoping to hit the big leagues, you may be in for a rude awakening.

Even if you do strike it big and score a traditional publishing deal after you self publish, the publisher will expect you to be able to write atleast two books for them, known as a two book deal. Some companies want you to write more. And you have to produce.

So, this blog post is going to ask a question: are you writing a book out of love, or are you doing it just because?

Until next time,

~Sandra~

No comments:

Post a Comment